miércoles, 22 de abril de 2015

Great by Sara Benincasa Review

Publicado por Lina Jiménez en 19:00
Title: 
Series: 
Author:
Date Published:

Publisher: 

In Sara Benincasa's contemporary retelling of The Great Gatsby, a teenage girl becomes entangled in the drama of a Hamptons social circle, only to be implicated in a tragedy that shakes the summer community.

Everyone loves a good scandal.

Naomi Rye usually dreads spending the summer with her socialite mother in East Hampton. This year is no different. She sticks out like a sore thumb among the teenagers who have been summering (a verb only the very rich use) together for years. But Naomi finds herself captivated by her mysterious next-door neighbor, Jacinta. Jacinta has her own reason for drawing close to Naomi-to meet the beautiful and untouchable Delilah Fairweather. But Jacinta's carefully constructed world is hiding something huge, a secret that could undo everything. And Naomi must decide how far she is willing to be pulled into this web of lies and deception before she is unable to escape.

Based on a beloved classic and steeped in Sara Benincasa's darkly comic voice, Great has all the drama, glitz, and romance with a terrific modern (and scandalous) twist to enthrall readers.



I've never read The Great Gatsby, I saw the movie that had Leonardo DiCaprio in it and all the pretty dresses and scenes convinced me to buy the book, this retelling made me  not want to read the original ever.

Naomi/Nick Carraway: was the typical girl that life's been good to her all things considered but still finds something to complain about, like how her mother is a self made millionaire, that worked hard for all her money. How dare she want to succeed in life! Did I mention Naomi claims to be a feminist? Overall Naomi had a "I'm not like most girls" attitude.

Jacinta/ Jay Gatsby: If I described Jacinta in one word it would be CREEPY, if I met a person that knew every little detail about someone else life I wouldn't find it awesome and mature it's creepy.

Delilah/ Daisy: A sterotypical socialite, there is no more to her character.

***Spoiler alert***

The author tried to give a big twist with Delilah and Jacinta being lesbians but to me the relationship felt forced, it was always obvious that Jacinta was obsessed with Delilah but I felt that it was in a celebrity sort of way  and not in relationship type of way, it was like the author was thinking: How can I shock my readers? Oh I know let's make these two lesbians. The fact that we see the relationship through Naomi's eyes didn't help either.

Rating:

 photo rating_zpsnhtrqt63.png



2 comentarios:

Beth on 23 de abril de 2015, 2:13 dijo...

Oh, this one had the potential to be sooo good! I haven't read The Great Gatsby either, but I'm disappointed that Great fell flat. Oh well, onto the next adaptation!
Beth x

Paulina on 23 de abril de 2015, 18:29 dijo...

The main problem was that the main character was one of those "Special Snowflake" characters:(

Publicar un comentario

 

The Little Book Pixie Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos