domingo, 3 de enero de 2016

Monday Book Recommendations: The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann David Wyss

Publicado por Lina Jiménez en 22:00


Monday is the day I choose what new books I’m going to start reading but I have so many books in my To Read Pile that sometimes it’s hard to choose so I have decided that on Monday mornings I’ll recommend some  of  my favorite books.


Title: The Swiss Family Robinson
Series: -
Author: Johan David Wyss
Date Published: (My copy) April 1999
Publisher: Yearling

“For many days we had been tempest-tossed…the raging storm increased in fury until on the seventh day all hope was lost.” 

From these dire opening lines, a timeless story of adventure begins. One family will emerge alive from this terrible storm: the Robinsons—a Swiss pastor, his wife, and four sons, plus two dogs and a shipload of livestock. Inspired by Daniel Defoe’s Robinson Crusoe, this heartwarming tale portrays a family’s struggle to create a new life on a strange and fantastic tropical island. There each boy must learn to utilize his own unique nature as their adventures lead to difficult challenges and amazing discoveries, including a puzzling message tied to an albatross’s leg. But it is in the ingenuity and authenticity of the family itself, and the natural wonders of this exotic land that have made The Swiss Family Robinson, first published at the beginning of the nineteenth century, one of the most enduring and imitated stories of shipwreck and survival.


My mom read this book to me for the first time in 3rd grade and if we ignore the ending it makes my top 20 favorite books of all time.


0 comentarios:

Publicar un comentario

 

The Little Book Pixie Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos